Weather change overnight saw heavy rain through small hours, at least it stayed dry for the match! The fishing was really hard going . . .
1) Dave Jones (Peg 18) - 20lb
2) Dave Matson (Peg 25) - 15lb 6
3) Mick Groom (Peg 12) - 13lb 8
4) Stu Miles (Peg 6) - 8lb 12oz
Next Round on Parkers Pool Sep 2nd.
The recent heatwave came to an arubpt end overnight, with high winds and rain replacing 30 degree heat! The fishing was mixed, but another fine performance from Dave Matson, saw another win in the bag for the Chariman!
1) Dave Matson - 78lb 4oz
2) Ron Mullinder - 60lb 5oz
3) Bob Pritchard - 59lb 14
4) Dave Jones - 42lb 12
Dave Jones continued his good recent form to take top place on Sunday, with a win from peg 5 on. The heatwave conditions continued and with the earlier draw time, made for an interesting match . . .
1) Dave Jones (Peg 5) - 42lb 7
2) Dave Matson (Peg 10) - 33lb 5
3) Ron Mullinder (Peg 12) - 32lb 7
4) Bob Pritchard (Peg 9) 30lb 9oz
Dave Matson took the spoils in round 6 with a fine bag of Carp from peg 11. He had a very good last two hours in the margins, to lead the way on the day. It follows continued heat wave conditions too.
1) Dave Matson (Peg 11) - 57lb 15oz
2) Dave Jones (Peg 18) - 37lb 10oz
3) Ron Mullinder (Peg 9) - 33lb 7oz
4) Bob Pritchard (Peg1) - 30lb 8oz
Ron Mullinder continued his good start to this years league, following up a 2nd last time out with a win this time around. Pegged on 4 he caught Carp for 45lb.
1) Ron Mullinder (Peg 4) - 45lb
2) Stuart Miles (Peg 2) - 40lb 3oz
3) Guy Jones (Peg 6) - 27lb 3oz
4) Phil Bowen (Peg 10) - 18lb 12oz
The Annual pairs competition took place on Honeysuckle and Audco Canal sections again, with a good turnout of Anglers enjouying the warm spell. It was closely contested again this year with a few teams level on points, so weights came into play for the final results:
1st Pair - Richard Cavey & Tony Turner with 7 points (17lb 12)
2nd - Joe Duce & Pete Jones with 7 points. (17.10)
3rd - Pete Follows & Paul Burton with 8 points. (16.9)
4th Dave & Kel Emlyn with 8 points (15.2)
1) Pete Lee - 23lb 3
2) Paul Burton - 12lb 2
3) Kel Emlyn - 10lb 14
1) Phil Bowen - 9lb 12
2) Joe Duce - 8lb 5
3) Tony Turner - 8lb 3
The 4th round was fished on Sunday, with fantastic weather. The venue proved to be peggy this time, but some good weights we're enjoyed by those on fish. . .
1) Dave Jones - 54lb
2) Ron Mullinder - 50lb 13oz
3) Dave Matson - 45lb 12oz
4) Bob Pritchard - 27lb 4oz
Round 3 was contested on Sunday, with finally some nice weather to bask in! Dave Matson once again showed the way, winning with 16lb, but he was pushed all the way by Phil Bowen who was a close 2nd:
1) Dave Matson (Peg 27) - 16.5
2) P Bowen (Peg 19) - 13.13
3) D Jones (Peg 1) - 9.6
4) G Jones (Peg 4) - 8.13
The next round is Sunday the 20th May on Melverley farm Birches Draw 9am
First main match of the season on Long Lane Pool, went ahead too:
1) Ron Mullinder (Peg 4) - 22.10.0
2) Dave Matson (Peg11) - 21.10.0
3) Dave Jones (Peg5) - 21.9.0
4) Roy Biddulph (Peg 17) - 21.8.0
Some good weights we're enjoyed on the Canal Saturday.
1) Phil Bowen (Peg 12) - 10.4.0
2) Mick Price (Peg 9) - 10.2.0
3) Pete Follows (Peg 15) - 10.0.0
4) John Davies (Peg 14) - 9.11.0
Round two took place on Sunday, with the Anglers keen to try out the new venue added for this years series. The weather had just started to be brighter, following an awful March and preceeded by a couple days of further rain! It was dry and sunny the day before though and dry during the match! Last sesons winner took the spoils in round 2 . . .
1) Dave Matson - 35.15.
2) Dave Jones - 29.7
3) Ron Mullinder - 26.9
4) Bob Pritchard - 23.10
Round one of the league took place a little earlier this year, on the Shropshire Union Canal at the honesty box section. It was nice warm day (for the first time in 2018!) but fishing was hard due to a mix of recent weather conditions and canal lock closures, plus the clocks going forward the night before (all the excuses!)
1) Phil Bowen (Peg 10) - 2lb 14oz
2) Ron Mullinder (Peg 18) - 2lb 4oz
3) John Buttery (Peg 26) - 1lb 10oz
The annual Christmas fayre match was held at the Hinstock wood length of canal. Conditions we're rock hard following a severe change in temperature and clear water conditions with locks being closed for maintenance! Still a decent turnout of 9 Anglers braved it. Dave Matson took top spot from Peg 83. . .
1) Dave Matson (Peg 83) - 5lb 11oz
2) Dave Oldfield (Peg 84) - 4lb 7oz
3) Roy Biddulph (Peg 78) - 1lb 14oz
The club held a contest on the Shropshire Union on Saturday, with some good weights in the run up to the Fur and Feather, being held on the SUC on Dec 2nd:
1) Dave Matson (Peg 79) - 8lb 12oz
2) Roy Cooper (Peg 77) - 6lb 4oz
3) Roy Biddulph (Peg 82) - 5lb
4) Bob Yeomans (Peg 81) - 4lb 14oz
The club held a match on Long Lane on Saturday, in warm and windy conditions the fishing was mixed with some reasonable weights for the time of year:
1) Bob Pritchard (Peg 6) - 48lb
2) Dave Jones (Peg 15) - 33lb
3) Ron Mullinder (peg 1) - 31lb
4) Stu Miles (peg 4) - 22lb 13
The final round of the 2017 league was fished on Sunday, with the same result, Dave Matson winning the round! That makes it a perfect 8 points for Dave. It fished harder than most thought though:
1) Dave Matson (Peg 14) - 32lb
2) Bob Pritchard (Peg 11) - 29lb 9oz
3) Stuart Miles (Peg 8) - 22lb 13oz
Round 10 was fished on Sunday, last but one round of the league series for 2017. It was hard going for everyone on the day. Dave Matson continuing the theme of winning, with a first from peg 10:
1) Dave Matson (Peg 10) - 12lb 12oz
2) Dave Jones (Peg9) - 8lb 2oz
3) Bob Pritchard (Peg 11) - 7lb 6oz
4) Stu Miles (Peg 1) - 5lb 1oz
Final Round on Long Lane on 17th September.
The latest open was held at the Hinstock venue on Saturday:
1) Roy Biddulph (Peg 4) - 18lb 13oz
2) Phil Bowen (Peg 9) - 9lb 2oz
3) Mick Pric (Peg 10) - plb 1oz
Round 9 was contested on the Hough fishery near Press, with Dave Matson again winning the match!
1) Dave Matson (Peg 27) - 23lb 3oz
2) Roy Biddulph (Peg 2) - 20lb 11oz
3) Ron Mullinder (Peg3) - 19lb 15oz
4) Stu Miles (Peg 1) - 13lb 1oz
The Annual Pairs match was fished by 13 pairs of Anglers on Saturday. Lining up along the club stretch and the Honeysuckle, the suckle produced the best weights.
1) Richard Davey - 3.0.0
2) Matt Naylor - 2.14.0
3) Dave Jones
1) Pete Davidson - 18.3.0 (8 Bream & bits)
2) Phil Bowen - 7.6.8
3) Alan Naylor - 6.12.0
There was tie for first place with 5 points for both Phil Bowen/ Dave Jones & Alan/Matt Naylor with Phil and Dave taking it on weight. One indiviual managed to raise £81 for the charity and thanks goes to Paul Quinn of The Phez Newport for the aftermatch hospitality!
Another club open on Bearcroft, with around 10 anglers turning out. Dave Moore took the spoils following persistant rain the evening before:
1) Dave Moore (Peg 6) - 26lb 3oz
2) Roy Biddulph (Peg 4) - 25lb 9oz
3) Dave Matson (Peg 9) - 17lb
Chairman Dave Matson again showed his dominance over the series with another fine display and win on Sunday. He had a great mixed bag and nearly broke the ton!
1) Dave Matson - 90lb 8oz
2) Dave Jones - 56lb 10oz
3) Bob Pritchard - 47lb 13oz
4) Phil Bowen - 42lb 10oz
Round 7 was contested on Sunday, with Dave Matson continuning his fine season form, with yet another Win . . .
1) Dave Matson (Peg 17) - 39lb 4oz
2) Ron Mullinder (Peg 15) - 28lb 7oz
3) Dave Jones (Peg 11) - 19lb 6oz
4) Stuart Miles (Peg 1a) - 15lb
Cooler than the week previous, but some great fishing was had by those who attended the match on Sunday:
1) Dave Matson (Peg 8) - 72lb 9oz
2) Ron Mullider (Peg 14) - 55lb 4oz
3) Phil Bowen (Peg 4) - 20lb 9oz
Red hot weather greeted those who fished Parkers on Sunday, the fishing was always going to be hard in 30 degrees!
1) Dave Matson (Peg 22) - 36lb
2) Stuart Miles (Peg 20) - 23lb 10oz
3) Phil Bowen (Peg 6) - 19lb 11oz
4) Ron Mullinder (Peg2) - 13.15
Mick Groom continued his recent good form, with a fine win from peg 6 of Bearcroft pool, in warm but windy conditions, he took a few good Carp to take the spoils . . .
1) Mick Groom (Peg 6) - 35lb
2) Roy Biddulph (Peg3) - 24lb
3) Mick Price (Peg 16) - 18lb
The Hough Fishery near Prees was used for Round 5 of the league, the fishing was much harder than any one thought it would be, but Roy Biddulph won for the second round in a row:
1) Roy Biddulph (Peg 23) - 14lb 12
2) Dave Matson (Peg 9) - 14lb 6oz
3) Harry Groom (Peg 19) - 13lb 13oz
4) Bob Pritchard (Peg 13) - 13lb 3oz
A fine bag of fish from Pete Lee on Peg 14 won the latest saturday match on the Newport Canal:
1) Pete Lee (14) - 16lb
2) Harry Groom (peg 6) - 11lb 1oz
3) Mick Groom (Peg 10) - 3lb 8oz
The latest round of the League was contested at Bearcroft Pool on Sunday, following heatwave weather, the day was cooler than preceeding days. It was hard for many, but several found some fish . .
1) Roy Biddulph (Peg 6) - 33.15
2) Phil Bowen (Peg 9) - 24.2
3) Dave Matson (Peg2) - 21.4
4) Dave Jones (Peg 10) - 14.14
An Audco match was held on Bearcroft Pool on Saturday, with some good weights:
1) Mick Groom (Peg 1) - 24lb 10oz
2) Roy Biddulph (Peg 16) - 22lb 4oz
3) Pete Lee (Peg 8) - 14lb 10oz
4) Harry Groom (Peg 7) - 11lb 12oz
Round 3 of the league was contested on a warm sunny Sunday! The boat traffic was heavy and made it harder for the Anglers . . .
1) Dave Bould & Roy Biddulph - 6lb 13
3) Mick Groom 5lb 11oz
4) Andy Hughes - 5lb 2oz
The Annual pairs event was held on Saturday, using the clubs length and the Honeysuckle length. There were two pairs tied on points at the end day, but Mick Price and Roy Biddulph took first place on weight:
1) Roy B & Mick P - 4 points
2) Phil B & Dave Jones - 4 points
1) John Buttery - 7.0.8
1) Mick Price - 13.8.0
Round two of the series was contested this Sunday, with the full line up of Anglers for round two. The weather continued to be good for April, with fine sunshine, fishing was harder than expected. Dave Matson continued his great start to campaign with another win and Phil Bowen again came runner up . . .
1) Dave Matson - Carp and Silvers - 56.11.0
2) Phil Bowen - Carp and silvers - 39.8.0
3) Dave Jones - Carp and Silvers - 32.2.0
4) Stuart Miles - All Carp - 31.0.0
Some fantastic Spring sunshine and weather greeted those fishing the match on Long Lane Sunday, following a couple of days of unseaonsal warm weather. The Fishing was still slow, as the water has yet to properly warm up.
1) Richard Cavey (Peg 1) - 28.4.0
2) John Buttery (Peg4) - 20.9.0
3) Ron Mulliner (Peg 5) - 15.11.0
4) Dave Matson (Peg 11) - 14.14
Round one of the 2017 league was fished on Sunday, with dry conditions and a reasonable turnout for round one, Dave Matson started where he left off in 2016 with another win to start the campaign:
1) Dave Matson (peg 29) - 6.10.0
2) Phil Bowen (Peg 27) - 4.14.0
3) Bob Pritchard & John buttery - 3.11
This was held on the honesty box stretch, next round is on Melverly Farm (Birches) on Apr 23rd.
Phil Bowen took the spoils on the latest match on the SUC. A tough match, with fish being very finicky was what greeted the Anglers on Saturday. Lots of small fish we're caught!
1) Phil Bowen (Peg 16) - 4lb 13oz
2) Dave Matson (Peg 14) - 4lb 1oz
3) Mick Groome (Peg 4) - 3lb 2oz
4) Ron Mullinder (Peg 6) - 2lb 10oz
Another open match was fished on Saturday, in better conditions than of late, again the Club used the inform Hinstock section of the canal, and again the same pegs produced! Yet again it was one of the Groom brothers who took the spoils . . .
1) Mick Groom (Peg 78) - 14lb 3oz
2) Mick Price (Peg 79) -10lb 9oz
3) Bob Yeomans (Peg 72) -9lb 2oz
4) Harry Groom (Peg 82) - 7lb 11oz
Next match On Newport Canal 3rd of March.
The Second in a series of opens on the canal was contested Saturday and another good turn out by club match men, and sunshine and good weights, ensured that an enjoyable match was undertaken. With the following results . . . Harry won is second match on the trot
1) Harry Groom - 16lb 12oz (Peg 78)
2) Roy Cooper - 15lb 60z (Peg 79)
3) Stu Miles - 9lb 12oz (Peg 80)
4) Bob Yeomans - 8lb 10oz (Peg 76)
Next match on Saturday 18th February.
The club held the first official match of 2017 on the Hinstock wood length of the canal at the weekend, and despite very cold conditions, the weights for some we're very good . . .
1) Ray Bate (Peg 79) - 14lb
2) Mick Groom (Peg 78) - 13.3.0
3) Phil Bowen (Peg 77) - 9lb 14oz
Saturday 7th January
Following Ice on the pool, it was a good turn out for the latest knock up held on Bearcroft Pool, Saturday. It fished hard as expected it could be, some fish we're found in the dam wall end of the pool . . .
1) Stuart Miles (Peg9) - 9lb 12oz
2) Phil Bowen (Peg 10) - 7lb 14oz
3) John Buttery (Peg 12) - 4lb 9oz
Monday 2nd January
The first match of 2017 was held on Bearcroft and despite ice on the pool, some fish we're caught . . .
1) John Buttery (Peg 6) - 10lb 6oz (Carp on Feeder)
2) Phil Bowen (Peg 12) - 7lb 13oz (12m pole)
3) Mick Groom (Peg 10) - 5lb 14 (short pole)
The club held a mini match on Bearcroft in cold conditions on Sunday, fair turnout from match anglers too . . .
1) Bob Pritchard (peg 12) -13lb 10oz
2) Harry Groom (Peg 4) - 6lb 2oz
3) Phil Bowen (Peg 10) 5lb
The Annual Christmas fayre match was held on Long Lane Pool last Saturday, with a good turn out of Anglers lining up. New Chairman Elect Dave Matson, once again showed his skills to take top spot from Peg 11 following difficulties with Ice earlier on in the match. He didn't have it all his own way, with both Phil Bowen & Matt Egerton running him close . . .
1) Dave Matson (Peg 11) - 38lb 11oz
2) Phil Bowen (Peg 15) - 33lb 14oz
3) Matt Egerton (Peg 14) - 38lb 6oz
4) Stu Miles (Peg 5) - 7lb 8oz
Harry with his winning bag of 14b 4oz on Shropshire union canal